Wishing there was less of me.

Buoyancy

So...I wanna lose weight. I'm fine with eating fruits and vegetables and all that (yum,actually)

My problem is portions.

How do I cut back without feeling like I'm going to starve?

Call me a freak,but,when I try to cut back,I always feel hungrier..which makes me wanna eat more.

Yeah. Not good.

Tips?

You don't need to limit intake. Eat your fill (of good food, like you said, fruits and veggies) and exercise.[/b]

For weight loss, you actually kinda do. It's easy to put down 3k worth of calories if you're used to eating that much, and hard to get beginners to burn it off.

The three best ways I know of are:

1. Drink lots of water/tea/low calorie drinks.

2. Eat breakfast

3. Eat lots of expandable fiber (breads, waffles, et al.)

One of the things I do is have something relatively low calorie to snack on, like roasted peppers, roasted almonds, or baby carrots.

For weight loss, you actually kinda do. It's easy to put down 3k worth of calories if you're used to eating that much, and hard to get beginners to burn it off.[/b]

3k worth of calories in low density vegetables is just about an entire grocery store. In fact I highly doubt most people could eat 1000 calories worth of low calorie density vegetables in one day. Changing what you eat is a better solution than just changing how much you eat. Calories from different sources are of different quality.

Not to mention limiting your intake of foods period will also make your muscle mass start to suffer, and your muscle is what burns calories.

I heard if you drink a glass of water before you eat a meal that you'll feel less hungry, but I can't confirm if that's true or not. I guess it's worth a shot :P[/b]

I know this works with coffee. X3

...exercise where I live is hard. It's cold out most days (from now until, say...April? x.x) and I lack the funds to join a gym.

3k worth of calories in low density vegetables is just about an entire grocery store. In fact I highly doubt most people could eat 1000 calories worth of low calorie density vegetables in one day. Changing what you eat is a better solution than just changing how much you eat. Calories from different sources are of different quality.[/b]

Very true, but are they taking in solely vegetables, or are they also taking in sources of proteins like meats which are vital to building muscle? That's where it can hit you, as meats can easily pack away several hundred calories.

I still say that limiting some (not necessarily all of what you take in) is necessary. At least in the beginning.

To be honest... I started eating about half what I usually eat (portion-wise) but started adding a fiber cereal in the mornings(and when there was nothing else to eat later). Fiber cereal can get a bad wrap but omgaaaaaw the 4-dollar strawberry/fiber duo or cranberry almond crunch I love. The trick that worked for me was eating every 3 to 3.5 hours. It kept me content and soon my body enjoyed that situation as soon as my metabolism caught up. I also started on diet drinks and more water (splenda sweetened, not aspartame, bleh). When I need to eat a huge fill of food, as some months I do (iunno theres certain months I starve without eating all that God created), I fill up on veggies and lean meats like crazy. I also started doing random exercises when I watched TV or Cooked(Though I am not active really so this could work for you)... Lively music is great for that by the way... I don't believe in depriving oneself of any food group completely. Not even sweets.. When I was on that diet I lost 10 pounds in around 3 months.

I hope this can help you decide on what kind of diet you'd like. My diet is lower budget than most, thats why I used it; and now it seems I feel very unhealthy when I'm off my 3 hr schedule. Good luck.

Oh and Hai I'm Chelsea. .-.

Do you have a job? Not trying to sound like a jerk but it helps quite a bit. You get out and depending on your work you actually somewhat do stuff, most likely a lot more than sitting on a couch. Plus you earn money which is something you said you don't really have which means you can then join a gym, or buy snow shoes or a bike. Plus it gives you something to do during the day so you don't get bored and eat.

Eat healthy, work, play, do all things unto the Lord.

Do you have a job? Not trying to sound like a jerk but it helps quite a bit. You get out and depending on your work you actually somewhat do stuff, most likely a lot more than sitting on a couch. Plus you earn money which is something you said you don't really have which means you can then join a gym, or buy snow shoes or a bike. Plus it gives you something to do during the day so you don't get bored and eat.

Eat healthy, work, play, do all things unto the Lord.[/b]

I'm looking for a job. I miss my old one. I sat alot,but,my hands were too busy moving to throw food in my face.

Can't bike here in the winter. Unless,you can put snow tires on a bicycle. =P And even if you could,who wants to go exercise when it's -20 with a windchill that makes it -50 ? x.x

I'm trying to eat less,but man..denying helping no 2 is tough. e.e

You don't need to limit intake. Eat your fill (of good food, like you said, fruits and veggies) and exercise.[/b]

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes. Exactly what we need to hear.

Also, you should limit your intake of high fructose corn syrup. Fructose is actually a poison in the body that is naturally denatured when you eat it with a lot of fiber like you find in most fruits. (duh. The lord made it like that for a reason people. Don't mess with it.)

Actually, fructose and ethyl alcohol are the exact same thing in your body as far as the liver is concerned. The only difference in how the two act in your body is that fructose dose not effect your brain. It dose have the rest of the bad effects though. (Is this a surprise? Alcohol is made by fermenting substances containing fructose.)

Very true, but are they taking in solely vegetables, or are they also taking in sources of proteins like meats which are vital to building muscle? That's where it can hit you, as meats can easily pack away several hundred calories.

I still say that limiting some (not necessarily all of what you take in) is necessary. At least in the beginning.[/b]

It is the biggest misconception on the planet that you can only get protein from meats. Most vegetarians (non vegan) get a nearly perfect amount of protein.

You can get protein from all kinds of things. Legumes are a big one. Soy beans, most nuts, peas. All are high in protein. Broccoli and kale are also good sources of protein. There has even been suggestions that Broccoli may even be one of the perfect protein sources, and kale has the right balance of the correct proteins and minnerals to speed healing from injuries such as sprains and broken bones.

There really is a lot more to protein than can be found in meat.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if this helps but i play a ton of sports and before every game i eat a protean bar and its keeps me full for a long time. You can find some really good bars.[/b]

When you're not all that active,protein bars are the last thing you need.

i'm going back to weight watchers. Shooting to be my goal weight by June.

Wish me luck.

Get more active. I don't really know any active fat people.

If you wanna lose weight stop eating. If you wanna get in shape start doing stuff.

It really is simple, just takes commitment and the drive to actually do something. There's no need to follow some radical diet to fit your life style, change your life style to fit your diet (eat healthy still, just no need for Atkin's diet or vegan).

I've lost like 30 pounds, and I cut back on lot of breads. Cut out pop completely and drank pretty much only water. I cooked a ton of veggies to go with some chicken for supper.

As far as exercise goes, I know what you mean by not having anywhere to go outside to exercise/money to join a gym. I did save money and buy a stationary resistance bike to ride in my room. I biked 5 miles a day on it, stretching before and after. I suggest buying a yoga ball and doing crunches on it, and there are a ton of other exercises you can do on it. Youtube has instructional videos for workouts, too.

I suggest joining www.sparkpeople.com as well. You can track your calorie intake there, find exercises, recipes, and there is a massive message board. When you track your foods, portion control gets easier, believe me. When you see just how much you do eat, you feel slightly ashamed lol

I need to get back to my healthy eating/exercising. I have slacked off all the way since like October :/ Good luck to you! :)