DDOG059

I've been considering this passage recently and have a question...

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove the speck that [is] in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the plank that [is] in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye.(Luke 6:41-42)

I've known this passage for a long time, but this just occurred to me: How am I supposed to remove the plank in my own eye, if my brother can't even remove the small speck in his eye?? :confused:

I'm looking at the analogy itself, not just the meaning. Think of the situation: You're on the road one day, and spot your brother struggling with an eyelash (don't interpret the metaphor yet: he's actually having trouble getting an eyelash out of his eye, they hurt!) So you want to help, And you you should, shouldn't you? Is there anything wrong with wanting to help someone in need? But what Jesus is saying is: you have a plank in your own eye, so you can't help your brother any, until you first get the plank out of your own eye.

But what I'm asking is, if my own brother couldn't get a small speck out of his eye without needing my help, how in the world am I going to get the plank out of my eye without anyone's help? Are we just, both doomed? =/

OK umm... here let me see if this makes sense, What I'm doing is very similar to this...

And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed." But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, "Send her away, for she cries out after us." But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" But He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw [it] to the little dogs." (Matt 15:22-26)
^He's using an analogy, and she could have interpreted the meaning and then answered, but she didn't, she expanded on the analogy, keeping it in that form and replied:
And she said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman, great [is] your faith! Let it be to you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. (Matt 15:27-28)
What I'm doing is very similar to this, Jesus made an analogy, but before we get to the meaning of it, I'm asking a question by expanding the analogy.

But what I'm asking is, if my own brother couldn't get a small speck out of his eye without needing my help, how in the world am I going to get the plank out of my eye without anyone's help? Are we just, both doomed? =/

Hehe. I think I understand what you're getting at... And it's kinda confusing... :P

I think the verse is pretty much saying that hypocrites who are severe criticizers of others are quick to spitefully spot other people's faults, but they're blind to see their own. We have to be careful when we blame others because we need all grace ourselves. If we have a forgiving spirit, we'll be forgiven as well.

I think your brother doesn't notice the speck in his eye, much like you don't notice your plank. You're being quite hypocritical to point out a teensy little speck that your brother doesn't notice when you haven't noticed the big plank in your own eye.

We can't remove our faults by ourselves. we are flawed humans. But we have to know about the plank before we can ask God to help us. And we can't go judging others and tell them how to fix their problems if we can't fix our own. Yes, we are to help each other, but we can't go on and on like we know all when we can see our own faults.