Belgian flag

Why does it irritate you?

Because this kind of things happen almost daily in countries in the middle east and africa, but nobody really cares about them since it's old news. I'm not saying it isn't horrible what has happened, but just because it takes place in a western country doesn't make it worse than other similar terrorism attack around the globe.

Because this kind of things happen almost daily in countries in the middle east and africa, but nobody really cares about them since it's old news. I'm not saying it isn't horrible what has happened, but just because it takes place in a western country doesn't make it worse than other similar terrorism attack around the globe.

^^^^^ This.

Eh it's much worse because it's not a war zone. Where others are. So it's expected to see civilian casualties

Eh it's much worse because it's not a war zone. Where others are. So it's expected to see civilian casualties

Agreed. Also, Western countries are more likely to relate to other Western countries with similar cultures, than with countries not geographically or culturally close.

Western citiziens are more likely to notice attacks on western countries because the media collectively explodes over such terrorism. The media, meanwhile, makes unusual events a daily headline and mostly ignores "common" terrorism because repeated covering of a single topic satiates and then loses an audience. In fact, I would argue that even the Brussels attack is getting somewhat less attention than the Paris attacks simply because--being the second such attack in a relatively small timeframe--it's already more normal.

While I'd acknowledge that "Brussels is closer to home to most westerners than Ankara" probably plays a role, I'd argue that availability bias, satiation, and media surges are larger parts of the explanation.

Edited by Chris-M

Western citiziens are more likely to notice attacks on western countries because the media collectively explodes over such terrorism. The media, meanwhile, makes unusual events a daily headline and mostly ignores "common" terrorism because repeated covering of a single topic satiates and then loses an audience. In fact, I would argue that even the Brussels attack is getting somewhat less attention than the Paris attacks simply because--being the second such attack in a relatively small timeframe--it's already more normal.

While I'd acknowledge that "Brussels is closer to home to most westerners than Ankara" probably plays a role, I'd argue that availability bias, satiation, and media surges are larger parts of the explanation.

Indeed. Here in Belgium no day goes by or the news is constantly covered with those attacks in Brussels. Also all those people having our flag as profile picture, others complaining they don't feel safe, they don't want to come out even though they're not even close to Brussels, ... It's all so anoying, all those people overreacting and seeking attention. Pathetic.

It's all so anoying, all those people overreacting and seeking attention. Pathetic.

-_-

I dunno. I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that we've all got biased/stupid brains, but I try to stop short of calling people names, especially when they're mourning other people's suffering or--in some cases--dealing with their own.

We should try to reinforce people's interest in international problems, to expand their view to include a larger and larger horizon of concern, not roll our eyes because folks focus on the "wrong" terrorist attacks.

Edited by Chris-M

Indeed. Here in Belgium no day goes by or the news is constantly covered with those attacks in Brussels. Also all those people having our flag as profile picture, others complaining they don't feel safe, they don't want to come out even though they're not even close to Brussels, ... It's all so anoying, all those people overreacting and seeking attention. Pathetic.

What truly is pathetic is the sorry as crap whiners who whine and say "what about the Middle East, what about Syria" I'm sorry but they all need to just shut their mouths

As much as I agree that we need to alter the Western-centric dominant narrative on terrorism, I find it interesting that the vast majority of people who criticise the changing of profile pictures etc have, in my experience, been just as bad at recognising and talking about terrorism in the non-Western world prior to a terror attack on the West. I'm not sure I see it as a more genuine response than changing a profile picture.

Social media's role in terrorism and anti-terrorism is fascinating, though. I wonder whether changing profile pictures etc. is actually making the problem worse. Terrorist acts are intended to influence political decisions/gain a wider audience for a belief or cause, and having giants like Facebook give the option for individuals to overtly make political statements on a wide scale (but with only certain political statements available) seems to be playing into the "us vs. them" attitude terrorists have that can then be used to justify further attacks against civilians. 

I could be rambling tho. Paul Wilkinson's 'The Media and Terror: a reassessment' is a good read. 

As much as I agree that we need to alter the Western-centric dominant narrative on terrorism, I find it interesting that the vast majority of people who criticise the changing of profile pictures etc have, in my experience, been just as bad at recognising and talking about terrorism in the non-Western world prior to a terror attack on the West. I'm not sure I see it as a more genuine response than changing a profile picture.

Social media's role in terrorism and anti-terrorism is fascinating, though. I wonder whether changing profile pictures etc. is actually making the problem worse. Terrorist acts are intended to influence political decisions/gain a wider audience for a belief or cause, and having giants like Facebook give the option for individuals to overtly make political statements on a wide scale (but with only certain political statements available) seems to be playing into the "us vs. them" attitude terrorists have that can then be used to justify further attacks against civilians. 

I could be rambling tho. Paul Wilkinson's 'The Media and Terror: a reassessment' is a good read. 

Katy makes all the best contributions <3

Well said.

For many it might be a natural counter-reaction for all the commotion around the recent attacks. They're not wrong though.

What truly is pathetic is the sorry as crap whiners who whine and say "what about the Middle East, what about Syria" I'm sorry but they all need to just shut their mouths

Why?

-_-

I dunno. I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that we've all got biased/stupid brains, but I try to stop short of calling people names, especially when they're mourning other people's suffering or--in some cases--dealing with their own.

We should try to reinforce people's interest in international problems, to expand their view to include a larger and larger horizon of concern, not roll our eyes because folks focus on the "wrong" terrorist attacks.

I think we can do both. :)

Edited by Sappho