ON FIRE by switch foo-t is it a love song or a religious song??

AnndyAdair

The problem we have is that we live in a society where love between males is not thought of as anything but sexual. It's ridiculous. I love my friends who are guys and gals. Not a sexual love, just ya know as friends. Not every song is about romance people. The problem with this generation is that everything has to do with sex or romance. Sometimes, there are other types of love.

Honestly, I've listened to this song multiple times in any number of moods, but it just sounds more like a love song than anything else. I can't seem to bring myself to praise with it, like I can other songs. It just doesn't sit as a Christian song to me.

Honestly, I've listened to this song multiple times in any number of moods, but it just sounds more like a love song than anything else.

Historians and philosophers of sexuality absolutely love to pour through different cultures and different periods in the past to find expressions of same sex love. I think (read: they think) what it does is blur the lines between these very artificial borders of heterosexuality and homosexuality.

I can't seem to bring myself to praise with it . . .

What do you mean?

Historians and philosophers of sexuality absolutely love to pour through different cultures and different periods in the past to find expressions of same sex love. I think (read: they think) what it does is blur the lines between these very artificial borders of heterosexuality and homosexuality.
I am particularly interested in the phenomenon of female vocalists singing love songs (originally sung by males) about other girls. So far, I have not seen male vocalists do the same sorts of cover.

I have no idea what in the world this has to do with my comment ^_^

What do you mean?

To praise as in praise and worship. If the song was intended to be used in a religious sense, then it should be a song suited so that people could sing along to it and glorify God. I can't seem to be able to do that as I can with most (even secular) music.

• 3 weeks later...
I am particularly interested in the phenomenon of female vocalists singing love songs (originally sung by males) about other girls. So far, I have not seen male vocalists do the same sorts of cover.

Listen to White Stripes' (hence Jack White's) rendition of Dolly Parton's Jolene.

I've always thought it was about God. Jon certainly seems like a Christian, and I find it hard to believe he'd co-write a song about how he needs someone other that God alone to be fulfilled...

But, there's certainly no problem with a song by a man about how another man makes him feel on fire. Did not Jonathan and David have such an intimate relationship? Indeed, Christians are called, regardless of their sex, to have a burning, intimate, close relationship with the ideal human, the man Jesus Christ.

Bonnie Raitt's 'I can't make you love me' was covered by Bon Iver a little while ago. I can think of other examples of men covering songs originally sung by females and vis versa.

I wasn't specific enough. What I meant was that they are explicitly about a specific gender. In other words, there has to be gendered pronouns that are kept the say or gender qualifiers of some sorts. There is nothing in Bon Iver's cover which specifically identifies his love as another male.

But I dont' like gender specific love songs to begin with but even so that song is traditionally sung by female vocalists talking about a relationship with a male, even though it doesn't specifically say that -- its implied heavily.

• 1 year later...