ON FIRE by switch foo-t is it a love song or a religious song??

AnndyAdair

They tell you when you need to leave

They tell you what you need to know

They tell you who you need to be

But everything inside you

Knows there's more than what you've heard

There's so much more than empty conversations

Filled with empty words

And you're on fire when he's near you

You're on fire when he speaks

You're on fire burning at these mysteries

Give me one more time around

Give me one more chance to see, yeah

Give me everything you are

Give me one more chance to be near you, yeah

When everything inside me

Looks like everything I hate

You are the hope I have for change

You are the only chance I'll take

And I'm on fire when you're near you

And I'm on fire when he speaks

And I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

You're on fire

You're on fire

You're on fire

is this song by switch-foot (on fire)

a love song about a boy and a girl or a song about religion or spiritual song read the lyrics and let me know what you think??

thanks!!!

I'm standing on the edge of me

I'm standing on the edge of everything I've never been before

And I've been standing on the edge of me

Standing on the edge

And I'm on fire when you're near me

And I'm on fire when you speak, yeah

I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

These mysteries

These mysteries, yeah

You're a mystery, yeah

You're a mystery

They tell you when you need to leave

They tell you what you need to know

They tell you who you need to be

But everything inside you

Knows there's more than what you've heard

There's so much more than empty conversations

Filled with empty words

And you're on fire when he's near you

You're on fire when he speaks

You're on fire burning at these mysteries

Give me one more time around

Give me one more chance to see, yeah

Give me everything you are

Give me one more chance to be near you, yeah

When everything inside me

Looks like everything I hate

You are the hope I have for change

You are the only chance I'll take

And I'm on fire when you're near you

And I'm on fire when he speaks

And I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

You're on fire

You're on fire

You're on fire

a love song about a boy and a girl or a song about religion or spiritual song read the lyrics and let me know what you think??

thanks!!!

I'm standing on the edge of everything I've never been before

And I've been standing on the edge of me

Standing on the edge

And I'm on fire when you're near me

And I'm on fire when you speak, yeah

I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

These mysteries

These mysteries, yeah

You're a mystery, yeah

You're a mystery

Well considering a dude sang it, I don't think he's be on fire when "he speaks" Unless it was God.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

switchfoot is Christian

Incidentally, I see a lot of homoeroticism in a lot of Charismatic Evangelical "worship" music. The "In love with Jesus" culture built up in there is right up with that. A gay Catholic friend of mine made similar observations.

It's a different kind of love. Love between men is extremely biblical. Sex between men is not.

It's a different kind of love. Love between men is extremely biblical. Sex between men is not.
Rumi proves the different kinds of love are often interchangeable in purple prose. I will also assert that sex between men is not explicitly biblical, but it is also not anti-biblical.

I think we'd have to ask Jon about the story behind the song. In the meantime, what do you think? How do you interpret the song? :]

Rumi proves the different kinds of love are often interchangeable in purple prose. I will also assert that sex between men is not explicitly biblical, but it is also not anti-biblical.

I don't know what you mean by purple prose. Even though I know what purple is and prose is.

Your second sentence is wrong.

To remain on topic: the song is about God, not a person.

I'm glad you knew this! I was lost!

I actually don't think it was... "You're wrong!" "He'e wrong!" "I'm wrong!" is a very stable form of argument though, right?

I'm not arguing because it's off topic...

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Since I presume (could be wrong) you were being sarcastic Joshua, the story behind the song goes something like this.

It was co written between Jon (the lead singer of Switch Foot) and a guy named Daniel. Originally, Daniel started writing it as a love song with a girl in mind, but he scratched the idea as Jon got on board and it became a song about God instead.

Most people who grew up in the church will relate the evangelical terms rather swiftly to their other worship songs. Lyrics like: "On Fire" denote being "On fire for God" which is a very popular catch phrase for Christian youth. Lyrics like "everything inside me looks like everything I hate...you are the only hope I have for change" sum up the gospel.

I don't know what you mean by purple prose. Even though I know what purple is and prose is.
Heh... purple prose is overly flowery language that draws attention to its form.
Your second sentence is wrong.
Maybe.
Since I presume (could be wrong) you were being sarcastic Joshua, the story behind the song goes something like this.

It was co written between Jon (the lead singer of Switch Foot) and a guy named Daniel. Originally, Daniel started writing it as a love song with a girl in mind, but he scratched the idea as Jon got on board and it became a song about God instead.

Most people who grew up in the church will relate the evangelical terms rather swiftly to their other worship songs. Lyrics like: "On Fire" denote being "On fire for God" which is a very popular catch phrase for Christian youth. Lyrics like "everything inside me looks like everything I hate...you are the only hope I have for change" sum up the gospel.

Joshua's hero, Jacques Derrida, would argue the author is irrelevant, because the author is metaphorically "dead" due to the distance language creates. We all bring our own structures of language-knowledge to a text (i.e. the song).

Guys this is your second warning in this thread. This is your last chance until the thread is closed. The OP asked whether or not it is "a love song about a boy and a girl or a song about religion or spiritual song." If you want to discuss other options either take it to PMs or make a thread somewhere else.

Seriously, this is a debate? I just spent a few minutes googling it and I found a pretty concrete answer.

Personally, this is probably one of my favorites by them-- it used to be my definite favorite, but then last year they came out with both Thrive and Where I Belong and I love those songs so much I could never choose-- and for me, it's pretty much always been about God. Though, once, in a little writing sketch I did use it as a love song between a boy and a girl. Actually, I've spent some pretty deep moments with God while listening to this song out on my old school's campus. <3

Anyway, like I was saying, I found a concrete answer. This is taken from another forum with a thread discussing the same material.

I've had the pleasure of talking to Daniel Victor (who co-wrote the song) a few times over the internet, and he explained to me a bit of what had gone on. While they were writing, Daniel began with the thought of a girl, and it's pretty easy to interpret the song that way. He soon realized though that for Jon, the message was much different. It was about his God.

So there you have it-- is On Fire a spiritual song or a love song? YES.

Joshua's hero, Jacques Derrida, would argue the author is irrelevant, because the author is metaphorically "dead" due to the distance language creates. We all bring our own structures of language-knowledge to a text (i.e. the song).

Also, by these standards, either the song no longer has meaning at all or the meaning is left up to individual interpretation, at which point, the question is moot.

I've always interpreted in religiously, but I think it's just one of those songs that's vague enough that different people can interpret what they want from it.

You know that South Park episode where Cartman was inspired to make Christian music by substituting the word "baby" in every love song with "Jesus"?

But the question is: Who made that joke first? The Simpsons or South Park?

Also, by these standards, either the song no longer has meaning at all or the meaning is left up to individual interpretation, at which point, the question is moot.
What Derrida discovered is the multiplicity of meanings in a text. It is not that the author's interpretation is irrelevant. Rather, it is the assertion that alternative interpretations are not invalid, because of the author's interpretation. Once an author creates a text, it takes on a life of its own.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Thus, Switchfoot's On Fire can exist as a religious song and a love song, simultaneously.