What was your first day of college like?

Allow me to quote from what I actually wrote on the first day I attended college classes. This was in 2007, and the second entry of the massive journal I've kept on my computer since then. (The first detailed college orientation the day previous.)

August 22nd, Wednesday

10 AM

I arrived at campus early, and entered class about 10 minutes ahead of time. Itis a good way to start your college career, no?

I have a nice instructor, [removed]. He's a graduate student teaching this class in exchange for 90% of his tuition. He also gets paid a little surplus on the side to live on.

Currently the only class assignment I have is playing around on the office 2007 programs. Sounds like fun! (No sarcasm.)

So here I am in Dede plaza close to the peaceful sound of the fountain, typing this out. I'm looking forward to my later class in Root Hall, A113. It's my writing fiction class, so that'll be enjoyable for a guy like me. =)

12 PM

Met up with [removed] again while I was playing Empire at War (hey, no assignments + boredom = fun time). Chatted a bit, though honestly it's hard to concentrate on what the other guy is saying when you're in another galaxy far, far away. At least got some decent conversation after I was able to finish a mission and shut down the game.

11 PM (late entry)

My English fiction writing class went well. I have an assignment to read pages 1-11 of the "World of Ideas" book. The professor [removed] seems nice.

There are about 30 people in each of my classes so far (thought that I'd spurt this random fact).

Looking forward (somewhat) to tomorrow.[/b]

Other than that, I was excited, yet uncertain, about where college would take me or if I could even do it. I had many fears that ultimately turned out to be unfounded.

My first day of College consisted of a few introductory classes. Since there's 10,000 people who go to the same school as I do, I met just about every person I've ever met in my life there. Was a good day despite the fact that I got lost quite a few times (gigantic school) haha ;).

I was terrified until after my first class when I realized how easy it would be. Academically, at least. The tricky thing is getting used to the environment because it's so different from high school and you don't know anyone (or at least I didn't). Plus for like the first month I had to walk around with a knee brace on and I had to leave like 20 minutes early to get everywhere I went and ice it when I got back because it would be swollen. :( Really unfortunate timing.

Forgot to add that my school is 20,000+ so my experiences were probably vastly different than yours will be. Here it's like, the faster you realize that you are just a number, the better. And everything is multiple choice, especially science classes because they are so huge. My bio lecture is 600 people, one of two sections, the other just as big. We take quizzes with a a remote they call an "iClicker" so it's like instant grading. Probably my least favorite thing I've encountered so far. If you didn't think you were a number before, the iClicker will quickly convince you.

Make class a priority, definitely show up a few minutes early just to be on the safe side. Get to know the people you're sitting around, you're going to have a class with them for quite some time, might as well make friends. Bring all the necessary items, including the textbook. Your profs normally spend the first day going over the syllabus, letting you know due dates and all of that, pay attention.

I'd recommend finding a Christian group if possible, or college ministries at local churches. That's where I've met a majority of my friends. Get involved in all you can, that's how you learn what you're interested in. If you don't like a group or something, no worries, find something else. :)

I went focused on what I went to college for: to learn, although the very first day I engaged into some chit-chats to get to know my classmates, some of which are up to this day great friends of mine. Whenever I had a free time, I went to one of the many green areas and started to read the Bible, praying that God would be with me during the whole college experience (and yes, He answered my prayers :)).

I don't get tired from saying this, and I'm sure someone has already said it, but get involved: enjoy your life at college by participating in events, being part of your college community, joining Christian groups or interest-based groups of your liking, etc. You'll have a lot of fun if you keep it up with a positive attitude! :)

My roommate and I were stick together the first day of college until she went off to her class. I spent the majority of my day in my room reading up on the homework we had gotten and memorizing the handbook. I then went to the ice cream social that night and made a lot of friends over strawberry ice cream with sprinkles and cherries. ^_^

1st day you pretty much just go over what you are going to be doing in that class. Really simple. There really isn't too much to fret about.

Try to find a Christian organization if you can. They are out there, trust me. I suggest Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that it was a bit of culture shock for me. When I first arrived in my dorm, my "snobbish" insides came out through voice and I said, "This is it?" haha. Following that, my dad began to tease me about me being in the army now haha. Anyway, I got to meet all of the different people and got settled in really quick. The thing that I learned about it though is that you have to just put yourself out there socially and be open to talking to someone you've never seen before.

I didn't accurately calculate how long it would take to get to my campus, so I arrived 1 1/2 hours early, then I nervously entered all my classes, listened to the teachers explain what the semester would be like, then got home and cried a bit :P

Number one thing you should remember : When they give out the semesters worksheet, it looks like a lot ( it IS 15 weeks worth) but Dont let it get to you! :) I was stressed because I thought "dear lawd, I can never learn and then DO all these things!" but the more you go through the semester you'll realize you learn faster and will be able to do everything you thought you couldnt :)

my first class of *this semester* was a once a week 3 hour biology class supposedly anyway. We ended up going over the syllabus for 25 minutes and then we all left. Oh yeah she also informed us that class next week was canceled because of MLK day. So i got like 5-10% of this class done for the semester...

I live in a university town where everyone usually graduates high school and goes to this huge school with millions of students..um yeah not so much for me. I went to a smaller, but still public high school, so when I graduated, I went to a small college too. I was nervous at first, but college is so different from high school and for me, it was a relief to be surrounded by other people who were as serious about their education as I was. My first day kinda went like this...parked in a teacher only parking spot, got lost on the way to class, got lost again on the way to the library, saw some old friends, met three new friends, went home and fell asleep. But the truth is, I enjoyed it bunches. Good luck!

My first day of College consisted of a few introductory classes. Since there's 10,000 people who go to the same school as I do, I met just about every person I've ever met in my life there. Was a good day despite the fact that I got lost quite a few times (gigantic school) haha ;).[/b]

Hah! First day I tried to find the PC computer lab in like 2F.16 or something, found myself 2 stories underground in a gym xD

You just have to remember, most people there on the the first day are in the same boat as you; confused and nervous. Find the class, get a good seat and everything else is roses.

My first day of college was terrible.

I was yelled at all day, and lost my voice within the first 5 hours. I got 10 minutes to say goodbye to my parents knowing that I wouldn't get to talk to them again for a month, and knowing that I wouldn't see my best friend for another 6 months. Yeah it was a pretty bad day....

• 4 weeks later...