Are Pets More Trustworthy Than People?

Mad_Dog

A survey of Canadians has found that 53 percent of those who have pets find them more reliable than people. The study, conducted by Harris/Decima, a well-known public opinion research organization in Canada, also showed that 90 percent of those surveyed talk to their pets, and 33 percent have confided deep personal secrets to them.

“There are many reasons why people trust their pets, but what’s really important is that we learn from their behaviour. We can honour what they teach us by offering the same gifts to the people in our lives; namely, by being kinder as human beings towards one another,” said Shiri Joshua, a therapist who works with both animals and their owners. (Source: Montrealgazette.com)

Joshua also said that pets are very good listeners, in reference to the finding that 90 percent of respondents talk to their animals. One possible explanation for this finding is that, because of social isolation in the modern world, companion animals have become very important for some individuals in maintaining their sense of intimacy and connectedness.

For some people, the longest emotional relationship they have had is with a cat or dog. Animals can be a steady presence through a variety of stressful situations, including relocation, divorce, and dissolving friendships. They provide companionship even when you are sick, depressed, poor, or having emotional problems — situations that may cause difficulties in relationships with other people.

People who have experienced emotional turbulence in the past may feel more comfortable and safer being close to an animal. In fact, dogs have proven to have a calming effect on abused and neglected children, helping them to feel safe enough to speak about their painful personal experiences in court. Also, with a pet, people who experience extreme social isolation are able to have a relationship where they are taking care of another, and yet at the same time are taking care of themselves.

Pets bring us joy, reduce stress, and comfort us when we’re feeling low — all without saying a word. It’s no wonder we trust them with our hearts.

Original article can be found here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/pets-more-trustworthy-than-people.html

Pets ARE more trustworthy than humankind... They listen to you, they don't tune you out, they cheer you up, they don't backstab you, they don't think you are ugly or too pretty to do anything. And they keep secrets. Dogs and cats are great. Heck, I get along better with them than I do with humanity!

This statement may be true I suppose, but rather troubling deep down.

While dogs provide wonderful, simple and trusting companionship, they do not have a soul. It is more beneficial to use what one has learned from the attributes of a furry friend perhaps to extend to other humans. This is risky I know as people can surely be abusive, but what greater grace then to be able to open oneself up to another human being and share openly soul to soul vs soul to just body (via a pet).

well this definitely gets the critical thinking gears going! :D

No, it really doesn't.

"Pets are good listeners"? Are you serious? If "being silent while someone makes noise that means nothing to me" constitutes "listening", my desk is a good listener.

And you know what? My desk is reliable too. Never lets me down. Never complains. I'm always putting stuff on my desk and it's always like "Yeah, that's cool." I can tell my deepest, darkest secrets to my desk and it'll promise me, in all sincerity, that it'll never tell anyone else about them.

Or at least, I'm sure it would if it had any actual understanding of kindness or honesty or integrity, which it doesn't.

How is this news?

They listen to you

But they don't understand what you say.

they don't tune you out

If they don't understand what you say, of course it looks like they "don't tune you out."

they cheer you up

Why of course they do, but so do humans.

they don't backstab you

They haven't got enough cognitive capabilities to do so. But they can physically backstab (i.e. attack) you if you're a bad owner — which doesn't totally eliminate the possibility of backstab anyway. Sometimes even nature itself can be to blame no matter how good an owner you are — say, if a dog has a mental illness its behaviour will most likely be altered and it can be dangerous. The same goes for humans, of course.

they don't think you are ugly or too pretty

They don't think at all.

And they keep secrets.

They don't understand what you say in the first place, and secondly they can't even talk, so of course they "keep secrets."

Animals are awesome, hands down, but honestly I think you're exaggerating. All the comparisons you made between animals and humans are basically grounded in the criterion that the former are less complex creatures than the latter. It's like saying an abacus is better than a calculator because it doesn't run out of battery, doesn't crash, doesn't break if you spill liquids on it, etc. It's not a very conclusive standard to judge things with.

I fail to see why animals, or pets, are better companions or listeners than humans. Most people are too afraid to be judged, or to hear an opinion they do not agree with hence believing an animal is a better companion. Part of functioning in the human world is to interact with something you can learn from, get advice from, face repercussions, important qualities needed to survive. True, humans tend to take these attributes out of hand, and abuse this way of communicating we have been blessed with, but over all speaking or interacting with something that can equally interact with you is far more satisfying in the long run than a creature that stares at you either boredly and un interested (a cat), or with big dowy eyes or a tongue sticking out of it's mouth (a dog). One of the reasons we call them pets. They are not our equal, and they belong to us as objects of satisfaction without all the individual thinking a human can give.

Having a companion in a pet may be a good thing for people who do want want to be judged and can't handle criticism. To those that can handle interaction with people without becoming depressed and introverted prefer people. I like animals, but when I need to share secrets with anyone, it will be with someone who has the same thought process, and can communicate in a language I understand. Part of communication is the feedback. Just sayin'...

When I first moved to Virginia, I didn't have any friends for six months except my 4 cats and 3 dogs. I 100% believe that I will see them in heaven one day. Do I have proof, no. But isn't that what faith is?

I talk to my pets like they ate people cuz I see human characteristics in them. I think they know more then we think they do.

Animals being able to keep secrets have nothing to do with the goodness of their hearts. :P

Still, though. >.>

This statement may be true I suppose, but rather troubling deep down.

While dogs provide wonderful, simple and trusting companionship, they do not have a soul. It is more beneficial to use what one has learned from the attributes of a furry friend perhaps to extend to other humans. This is risky I know as people can surely be abusive, but what greater grace then to be able to open oneself up to another human being and share openly soul to soul vs soul to just body (via a pet).

I believe they do have a soul. You may not, but I personally believe that they (dogs and cats) do have a spirit/soul. They are not "just a body". As someone who loves dogs and cats dearly, and would give her own heart for her own cat and dog in a heartbeat to save their life, that was extremely hurtful for you to say.

No, it really doesn't.

"Pets are good listeners"? Are you serious? If "being silent while someone makes noise that means nothing to me" constitutes "listening", my desk is a good listener.

And you know what? My desk is reliable too. Never lets me down. Never complains. I'm always putting stuff on my desk and it's always like "Yeah, that's cool." I can tell my deepest, darkest secrets to my desk and it'll promise me, in all sincerity, that it'll never tell anyone else about them.

Or at least, I'm sure it would if it had any actual understanding of kindness or honesty or integrity, which it doesn't.

How is this news?

It's your own personal (rudely-put) opinion. Please respect my opinion on the matter. I understand dogs and cats better than anyone. They don't "talk" to me, per se. But I can understand what they are thinking. You may not understand this fact, but then again who else does?

But they don't understand what you say.

If they don't understand what you say, of course it looks like they "don't tune you out."

Why of course they do, but so do humans.

They haven't got enough cognitive capabilities to do so. But they can physically backstab (i.e. attack) you if you're a bad owner — which doesn't totally eliminate the possibility of backstab anyway. Sometimes even nature itself can be to blame no matter how good an owner you are — say, if a dog has a mental illness its behaviour will most likely be altered and it can be dangerous. The same goes for humans, of course.

They don't think at all.

They don't understand what you say in the first place, and secondly they can't even talk, so of course they "keep secrets."

Animals are awesome, hands down, but honestly I think you're exaggerating. All the comparisons you made between animals and humans are basically grounded in the criterion that the former are less complex creatures than the latter. It's like saying an abacus is better than a calculator because it doesn't run out of battery, doesn't crash, doesn't break if you spill liquids on it, etc. It's not a very conclusive standard to judge things with.

And, yes they do understand. Yes, the do have the ability to do anything they want. They do too think. >.> They DO understand what you say. They talk in their own language. I'm not exaggerating. >.>

I fail to see why animals, or pets, are better companions or listeners than humans. Most people are too afraid to be judged, or to hear an opinion they do not agree with hence believing an animal is a better companion. Part of functioning in the human world is to interact with something you can learn from, get advice from, face repercussions, important qualities needed to survive. True, humans tend to take these attributes out of hand, and abuse this way of communicating we have been blessed with, but over all speaking or interacting with something that can equally interact with you is far more satisfying in the long run than a creature that stares at you either boredly and un interested (a cat), or with big dowy eyes or a tongue sticking out of it's mouth (a dog). One of the reasons we call them pets. They are not our equal, and they belong to us as objects of satisfaction without all the individual thinking a human can give.

Having a companion in a pet may be a good thing for people who do want want to be judged and can't handle criticism. To those that can handle interaction with people without becoming depressed and introverted prefer people. I like animals, but when I need to share secrets with anyone, it will be with someone who has the same thought process, and can communicate in a language I understand. Part of communication is the feedback. Just sayin'...

Dogs and cats are better companions than humans, to me. But my personal opinion, is that... They never will let you down... They will ALWAYS love you. When I look into a dog's eyes, I see love. That's all I see. Love, and the longing to BE loved. I never see hate in a dog's eyes. I never have... Even in aggressive dogs, I... It's just amazing, what I can understand and see about a dog.

When I first moved to Virginia, I didn't have any friends for six months except my 4 cats and 3 dogs. I 100% believe that I will see them in heaven one day. Do I have proof, no. But isn't that what faith is?

I talk to my pets like they ate people cuz I see human characteristics in them. I think they know more then we think they do.

Thank God, finally someone who understands. <3

Nice talking to someone who won't disagree with you, aye? Contradicting opinions are so tiresome.

"Everybody else is just stupid!"

*blink**blink**licks*

"Yeah, I am glad you agree." *pets*

*Ignores* >.>

I don't think animals/pets are better 'listeners'. For one, they don't understand English. Just their name/commands. I think some animals are 'loyal' to their owners and understand their feelings . But are definitely not 'trustworthy'. They don't have human minds.

Yes, they do. They are trustworthy.

Guys lets try to keep this topic under control.

Anyways, I personally think that animals are good listeners. Sure they cant talk back or say anything but. Sometimes you just need to talk and you dont feel like being around people. A pet will always be there to talk to and make you feel better. That's why alot of people have a special bond with their pets.

Anyways, I personally think that animals are good listeners. Sure they cant talk back or say anything but. Sometimes you just need to talk and you dont feel like being around people. A pet will always be there to talk to and make you feel better. That's why alot of people have a special bond with their pets.

^this

^Thank you for saying what I could not say...

^this

^ Exactly.

Also, Jedi: Dogs don't necessarily bark when they have to pee. They just... Well, they pee. At least outside dogs do...

Yeah' date=' I spend hours pouring my intimate thoughts and emotions into my cat. Then we cry together, and I leave, knowing, that I can trust that the animal will never tell anyone anything that I just told them. Because it can't speak.[/quote']

It? Your cat is not an IT, *IT* has a gender! >.>

Guest FirefromtheEast

Maddie, please don't get upset. No one is being rude here. Animals may be able to understand your emotions if you make them obvious, but they cannot speak and understand human languages fluently. Also, the word "it" is an all-gender-encompassing word, like "mankind".

/sigh

I don't understand the tags on this topic. "Angels", "dogs", "humanity", "sick" and "twisted". What is this?

I think it depends on the individual on what they personally find more trustworthy. I've never gotten along with an animal before. I avoid them like the plague hence they wouldn't be considered trustworthy to me and there's no way I would be able to relate to them. But in your case Maddie, it would be the complete opposite

Btw the desk comparison made me lol.

It's your own personal (rudely-put) opinion. Please respect my opinion on the matter. I understand dogs and cats better than anyone (ESPECIALLY anyone on the site). They don't "talk" to me, per se. But I can understand what they are thinking. You may not understand this fact, but then again who else does?

What makes you think I'm being rude? I hope you're not trying to undermine the deep, personal connection I have with my desk.

wait are you that "dogs and cats are more important than humans" person

if so then don't bother replying because i think i already have a fairly good idea of how this discussion is going to go

I think this thread is going the wrong direction. Please keep this thread polite everyone. Respect others opinions.

Animals were created for the purpose of being a companion for Adam. BUT that wasn't enough. He was still lonely. So God created Eve.

Lesson: God created animals for companionship, but nothing really can beat human companionship.

I love my dogs and cats. They are my friends. But those 6 months where they were my only friends was torture, because I didn't have any human friends.