We shouldn't come in our "Sunday Best"

What's your point? No one is saying dressing up converts or changes anyone.

I never said it either, which you would realise if you had read my post and saw what I HAD SAID, not what you thought I said.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

I'm not really backing this up with scripture, nor focusing so much on the clothes as the attitude of preparation. I've just been taught that actions can be a form of prayer. Volunteering to help God's people? A form of prayer. Doing my best in a class, recognizing its for God's glory I'm even there? A form of prayer. To take on an attitude of preparation, study the readings beforehand and to dress up a bit? A form of prayer. Its a personal devotion, and it works for me. *shrugs* The church I go to now is one of the more formal parish's I've attended, and its a very fun community so I don't really think that Formal Attire = No fun allowed.

Can I suggest that your walk with the Lord will have more meaning to it if you forget about doing those things that are not in scripture and concentrate on those things that are.

It is nice to have a bit of mystery to our faith and to invent what is not in scripture to make us feel good, but it won't get you very far, believe me. :whistle:

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Did you not read /my/ answer first? I've already said that there isn't scripture that I know of referring to dressing in your absolute best--and I don't say you must either.

It is known as freedom of religion and freedom of speech. :whistle:

I never said it either, which you would realise if you had read my post and saw what I HAD SAID, not what you thought I said.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Can I suggest that your walk with the Lord will have more meaning to it if you forget about doing those things that are not in scripture and concentrate on those things that are.

It is nice to have a bit of mystery to our faith and to invent what is not in scripture to make us feel good, but it won't get you very far, believe me. :whistle:

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

And what, pray tell, did Marley "invent" as you say?

(Btw, imma still wear my American Eagle polos to church :) )

You're making absolutely no sense. Your comments and answers aren't even related to my posts here. What point are you trying to make, besides being confusing?

My whole life I've grown up dressing up to go to church. In recent years, its been less dressy, but as I sat in class today it suddenly struck:

Why do we have to wear our sunday best?

We don't see this evidenced in Scripture, in fact scripture appears to promote more modest attire that doesn't draw attention. And even if you look over history, we see how clothing styles have changed and our idea of "dressed up" would probably make some of our christian predecessors shudder.

As it appears to be a totally relative matter, as long as it is modest and doesn't draw attention, what you wear appears to be totally irrelevant.

Secondly and I haven't set in stone what I believe on this, could it perhaps be better if pastors were less dressed up? I think all of society has this bad stigma for guys in suits with church scandals, and corrupt politicians that are dressed up. It just has artificial written all over it. What if merely by your character, your testimony, and your life, you could be identified as the pastor of the church. Instead of getting all dressed up on the outside, why don't we get dressed up on the inside.

I think the ties, collars, and suits, just turn into nice masks for clergy to hide behind. Lord willing if I become a pastor, I want people to see for who I am. A man. But a man who is sincere and passionate for Christ, so much so they can see it all around me in everything I do and say.

I also think its makes the pastor more approachable and down to earth. I never want to lose touch with reality. I want to be real. I want to be honest. I want genuine. I don't won't to even seem fake by my attire, if I'm all those things.

soli deo gloria

i look at it this way,

if you were to go on a date with this beautiful girl and you wish to impress her, would you not want to look your best? suited to the occasion yes, but still you would don your best chothing. the same with a girl for a guy. she will spend hours getting ready for a night out with her date. so why would we not do the same for God?

we are His bride, He loves us. yes He accepts us as we are but loves us too much to keep us the same. we are His, we should bring glorry to Him. we also dress up for the message it sends to others. it says that we are not the same, that there is something different about us. that difference is God.

i look at it this way,

if you were to go on a date with this beautiful girl and you wish to impress her, would you not want to look your best? suited to the occasion yes, but still you would don your best chothing. the same with a girl for a guy. she will spend hours getting ready for a night out with her date. so why would we not do the same for God?

we are His bride, He loves us. yes He accepts us as we are but loves us too much to keep us the same. we are His, we should bring glorry to Him. we also dress up for the message it sends to others. it says that we are not the same, that there is something different about us. that difference is God.

This!

i look at it this way,

hmmm....most compelling argument thus far for dressing up. However the one things that detracts from it is that God would be more concerned or "impressed" in how we dress ourselves spiritually. While it could be a nice touch, we don't see dressing up as being mandated. Its all about the heart.

yes but our relationship with Him is not judged by others immediately. we are to take care of that ourselfs and has nothing to do with how we look. no the Lord is not concerned with whether we are wearing jeans and a t-shirt or the most expensive dress we can affored. but it is the point in the matter of why we do it and what it says about us at that moment in time. when i miss a servise for some reason and i go out on a sunday and see others in their sunday chothes and i am not i feel so ashamed. like i let God down. and in a way i have because i was not a tesemony to Him that day but others were. see getting dressed up also ties in with what people think of us, and to what is in our hearts. i get all dolled up for serveses as a way to show God, "i am your bride, i am your daughter. let me show someone else how it is to be yours."

And what, pray tell, did Marley "invent" as you say?

Dressing up is a form of prayer.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

You're making absolutely no sense. Your comments and answers aren't even related to my posts here. What point are you trying to make, besides being confusing?

Thankyou for your vote of confidence. I guess it is what the scripture says that the foolish will confound the wise.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

like i let God down.

You only let God down when you disobey him.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart! For they shall see God. (no mention of blessed are those who dress up).

Mat 5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (will wearing a suit stop you from doing this?).

Mat 11:29 Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls. ( not 'I am well dressed').

Mat 12:34 Offspring of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. (not out of the abundance of nice clothes).

Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings out good things; and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings out evil things. (not out of his fine clothes).

Mat 13:19 When anyone hears the Word of the kingdom and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and catches away that which was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown by the wayside. (not sown in his suit pocket).

Mat 15:18 But the things which come out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile the man. (not from his suit).

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. (not with all your suit).

Mat 24:48 But if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My Lord delays His coming, (not say in his suit).

There are many more of these in the other gospels. As you can see the keyword is HEART, not suits. God deals with us acording to our hearts, not what we wear.

Dressing up is just another impost of man made religion. You are often judged by what you look like, not what you do. Some of these churches make it very clear that you are not wanted unless you dress a certain way because you will tarnish their middle class image.

Paul said to be all things to all men. if I go to a working man's pub to evangelise and it is full of men on their way home from manual labour work , I don't wear a suit if I want to be taken seriously.

If I am going to be addressing a corporate board meeting, i don't wear a T shirt and jeans.

If I sit at the table with my Dad for a meal, I don't put a collar and tie on.

Most genuine fathers are more concerned about having a good relationship with their children than what they wear. God is no different. As it happens christians all around the world dress differently. Some in loinskins in the jungle, some in shorts in hot climates, and some in fur coats in cold climates.

With all due respect, to say that God is pleased with me being dressed up and that somehow will get me a few brownie points is a nonsense. To paraphrase Bill Clinton "It is the heart stupid."

Thankyou for your vote of confidence. I guess it is what the scripture says that the foolish will confound the wise.

That would work if you had actually said anything.

By the way, I do agree that dressing up for church is not /mandatory/. However, remember that not only do we serve God, but that He is holy, just, omnipotent, and worthy of all glory, honor, worship and respect. Yes, He's Father. Yes, He's Friend.Yes, He desires a relationship with us. But, He's also Lord and Master. Therefore, if a person believes they should dress their best, /let them/. It isn't legalism when said person doesn't use finery as a way of salvation or relationship with God.

Dressing up is a form of prayer.

Actions are a form of prayer. Prayer is worship. When we do something pleasing to God, we give Him glory, in turn, we worship Him. The question is, does dressing up for church please God? Which is what we are in the middle of the debate here. No, God does not say that we are supposed to dress up, He just said to humble yourself before God. You can dress up and be humble at the same time. He pointed out that the Pharisees dressed up because they flaunted it and were looking for respect because of their clothing. Dressing up is not sinful, approaching God with a proud heart is.

We should dress to honor God, not to honor man. If you want to dress up to honor God, do it. But if you just want to come as you are, do it. Do what the Spirit leads you to, don't trust what others pressure you to do

this. it's not proper to dress up just to appease others, but simultaneously you should do your best not to be a stumbling block to them though.

I preface this by saying my opening statement was my initial thoughts, and that I am continually reflecting upon what all of you have written to find the truth. And so in my following statements you will see my opinions have somewhat changed.

Dressing up. It is something that should be done if it is done with humility and without causing others to stumble. But what is dressing up? Dressing up can vary from culture to culture...I suppose its about bringing your best before God. Now I believe God is most concerned about our spiritual condition and not the clothes we wear, but I do believe he wants us to show honor and respect and to bring our fullest in worship before him. Therefore we should examine our hearts, and ask why we wear what we wear. Are we lazy? Are we proud? Are we respectful? Are we modest?

However, do not be so stuck in traditions that being a Christian becomes something that you wear, rather than something that you are.

Be modest, thoughtful, humble, reverent, and worshipful before God and His Church.

We like to have absolutes, but the only absolutes we have concerning attire are the biblical principles listed above.

We dress up for weddings, proms, dates, etc. but not for God? I see a problem with that. Church isn't just some routine you do every week. It's a celebration. It's a banquet. It's a special event commemorating Christ and worshiping in unity with other believers.

If you went to see the Queen of England in her palace would you come in an undershirt and boxers? Of course not. I'm not saying we have to dress in suits and ties every Sunday, but at least dress modestly and smartly when you're in the King's house. It won't kill you to look nice once a week for an hour and a half.

Secondly and I haven't set in stone what I believe on this, could it perhaps be better if pastors were less dressed up? I think all of society has this bad stigma for guys in suits with church scandals, and corrupt politicians that are dressed up. It just has artificial written all over it.

I agree. I don't feel like me all dressed up, I feel uncomfortable and akward. I don't feel like i'm serving God by doing that :/

I, personally, don't believe in churches imposing "dress-codes" on the congregation >_< As long as the clothes are MODEST and God sees righteousness when he looks at your life... it's all good! ^_^
agreed!!

• 2 weeks later...
I solve the problem by not "going to church". I am the church because I am a member of the body of Christ so in that respect it is the wrong question to ask. If you are a member of the body of Christ and you are if you are born again and baptised, then you are the church so you can't go to yourself.

All you can do is go to meetings that masqurade as being church, when all they are in fact is a religious meeting that gives a few people jobs.

Do you dress up to spend an evening at home with your family?

You are right about "You,I" Being the church. And its not that I don't agree with you not going to church but I hope you don't think church is a usesless thing. Its good to have fellowship and worship with other people atleast once a week and to get opinions of the Bible from other people such as your pastor or a leader. As for dressing nice, my church doesn't really do that except some people do on holiday's but when you do its more for showing respect for God if you feel thats what he wants you to do, even then though its not a sin to wear jeans.

I agree that the church is "You...me" but I hope you don't think that church is a bad thing, I mean I don't have a problem with people who don't go to church but I hope you don't think its worthless I mean its really amazing to be able to worship God and just have fellowship with other Christians,or just hear other opinions on the Bible and classic Christian questions from your pastor, older and younger sibblings in Christ, especially if you have a youth group.

I only read a few replies, but here is my opinion.

Dress up for church if that is how you desire to honor God. Do not condemn a person for not dressing up for church if you do, however. If you don't dress up for church, do not look down on the one who does. (Romans 14).

• 2 weeks later...
You are right about "You,I" Being the church. And its not that I don't agree with you not going to church but I hope you don't think church is a usesless thing. Its good to have fellowship and worship with other people atleast once a week and to get opinions of the Bible from other people such as your pastor or a leader. As for dressing nice, my church doesn't really do that except some people do on holiday's but when you do its more for showing respect for God if you feel thats what he wants you to do, even then though its not a sin to wear jeans.

Depending what you mean by church. Yes it is useless. No, it is not useless.

If you mean attending a religious service on Sunday morning with the congregation being the cheer squad for the half a dozen professionals who make all the decisions and do all the ministry and where you have fellowship with the back of people's heads, yes it is useless if for no other reason you won't find that is what they did in the NT church.

If you mean attending a gathering of God's people in the home to fellowship together, explore the apostles teaching (the NT) pray for each other and neighbours and share a common meal, no, it is not useless, it is highly desirable.

And why do i say that? Simple.That is what they did in the NT church and if the Bible is our guide for faith and practice, then that is what we should do.

Unfortunately, you will find that most denominations are informed by their traditions and if they conflict with the scriptures, sorry Bible, you are not welcome.

May I suggest that the best way to show respect for God is to obey him. :thumbup:

I don't have a problem with people not dressing up for Sunday church, but it helps me get in the mind set that Sunday is a special day. It is kind of like when I dress up for a special date with my boyfriend I feel like if I dress up for a date with my boyfriend I should dress up for God on his special date which is every Sunday for me. This is just how I feel and I don't have any problems with people coming to church in jeans and a tee if that's what they feel like wearing but I just enjoy dressing up so I do.

I only read a few replies, but here is my opinion.

Dress up for church if that is how you desire to honor God. Do not condemn a person for not dressing up for church if you do, however. If you don't dress up for church, do not look down on the one who does. (Romans 14).

This is pretty much my thoughts on the issue.

Personally, I dress comfortably for church. I mean, I'll wear a little bit nicer blouse or something... but the way I see it is that if I'm called to get down on my knees where I'm at, I don't wanna have to worry about what I'm wearing. Our church takes place in a gym...so yeah. XD I'll occasionally dress nicer, mostly because I come from a traditional baptist family, but really, I want to dress to be ready for anything.

...er...I feel like I made no sense. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Apparantly, christians wearing their Sunday best for church began in the late 18th century with the Industrial Revolution and became widespread in the mid 19th century. The practice is rooted in the emerging middle class and their effort to become like their wealthy aristocratic contempories.

I get the impression that this fits in with churches that are class conscious or want to promote an enviroment for a certain class. The old cathedral/Anglican type building attracts the moneyed gentry. The smart, modern new building attracts the middle class and the down to earth type of building attracts the working or lower class.

Your building tells people what sort of person is welcome and often if you are not that class, you will have great difficulty fitting in and being accepted.