Anime

Chris-M

Yeah yeah, I'm sure this topic has been made before. Whatever. I'm 'Merican. I do what I want, son.

So the questions under discussion--

1) Do you like anime?

2) Why do you like anime?

3) What anime programs are your favorites?

4) Any other super special thoughts about this or that character/artist/director/story/style.

5) Anything you'd like to see that you haven't yet?

--

1) Yes. Very much so. I actually prefer live action movies as a general rule (Magnificently well-shot scenes just allow for more interesting / beautiful detail than magnificently well-drawn scenes. Usually), but anime is my pulp. It's what I watch to chill out. And sometimes something like Evangelion or Baccano or Whisper of the Heart will stretch yonder gray cells.

2) See above

3) Evangelion (NGE, End of Eva, Rebuilds and all), From the New World, Full Metal Alchemist (Original >> Brotherhood), Princess Tutu, Madoka Magica, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun are my favorite serials. Whisper of the Heart, 5 Centimeters per Second, Spirited Away, Akira and The Place Promised in Our Former Days are my favorite feature-length movies.

4) Nah, I'm good.

5) I've heard Ghost in the Shell is a good series of movies and serials--like Psychopass (but not as mediocre)? I'm not sure where to start, though, it seems to be huge and episodic. Also I cannot wait to see

. I really like Isao Takahata as a director, and in many ways I prefer his more realistic and minimalistic movies to the usual Ghibli fantasy fare. And Kaguya looks so cute and mythical in an understated way, and that watercolor(?) style is so beautiful; it looks like an animated children's book. The trailer alone is super emotional…It's practically a short film in and of itself! I'm excited. Edited by Yves

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah yeah, I'm sure this topic has been made before. Whatever. I'm 'Merican. I do what I want, son.

1) Do you like anime?

4) Any other super special thoughts about this or that character/artist/director/story/style.

1) For the most part definitely, although I am finding i'm often preferring the ideas and creativity of the initial idea better than the actual execution of a lot of them. Anime isn't particularly subtle for the most part and it often rather irks me for it but it has a lot of really 'out there' stuff I really like and they do Slice of Life incredibly well. Yay generalisations!

2) Sort of what I said above. It's just really darn pretty for the most part too. Western media doesn't have much in the way of mature cartoons so anime can do things that live-action can't a la The Tatami Galaxy. How readily available it is as well is rather the plus and my Uni's Anime soc is a special way of spending a Friday night. There's some good peeps there. 

3) oh goodness... Paranoia Agent, Princess Tutu, Baccano, Kill La Kill, Another, Mushishi, Kino's Journey and  Eden of the East can just scrape in there. Filmwise it's Satoshi Kon's work all the way especially Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers.

4) Anime needs to do horror better. There's plenty in manga, Live Action Cinema and gaming but when it comes to the anime Another, Higurashi (which is a lot of filler) and Future Diary is all that i've liked so far. Admittedly a long form horror series is difficult but something like a anthology series a la Twilight Zone would be amazing and just get in different writers. Also I don't know if other people find this but so much anime has problems with pacing, obviously shonen such as Bleach, Naruto and the likes are awful offenders but if it's a really short series then it seems to end too abruptly or longer, in which case there's filler and/or final 'big bad' introduced in the last few episodes and promptly defeated as they ran out of time. ALSO COUSINS STOP HOOKING UP, THERE'S A 20 YEAR AGE GAP BETWEEN YOU. JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A SAD LONER DOESN'T MEAN SHE NEEDS TO BE D': 

5) I have over 200 items on anime-planet listed as 'to watch'.... But that's okay. It's not like I really wanted this degree anyway.

1.) Yes. From what I've seen I'm getting more into it.

2.) I like anime because it's really good at showwing emotion. Like you can get the perfect look of shock, horror, happiness. And you sometimes don't see that with real acting.

3.) Attack on Titan is currently my favorite. I also like a few others I can't name right now.

4.) I would just like to say that I love Eren. Mikasa. And Armin. They da bomb!!!

5.) I'd really like to see more diversity. Been wanting that for a loooong time.

5.) I'd really like to see more diversity. Been wanting that for a loooong time.

I promise you that virtually every romantic, sexual, and physical orientation you can imagine is present in strong numbers in anime. Women are more common than men. Asians definitely make up the preponderance of characters, but there are a lot of white dudes and some darker characters...

I really don't see the basis for this complaint in the context of anime? Unless you just really want more African-Japanese characters?

Edited by Yves

Maybe i'm missing them but outside a few choice ones, there's not a lot of variety or frankly just good portrayals, of LGBT characters in anime. 

I think there might be more variety and quality in LGBT characters in anime than in western media.

I think there might be more variety and quality in LGBT characters in anime than in western media.

Examples so I can watch them? ^_^

Admittedly it's not brill but in the UK we have our moments, Queer as Folk, Rev., This Life etc. Just not necessarily in more mainstream shows aims at family as while there's often one character their romanitic life is never the focal point like it is for a hetero couple.

Examples so I can watch them? ^_^

Admittedly it's not brill but in the UK we have our moments, ***** as Folk, Rev., This Life etc. Just not necessarily in more mainstream shows aims at family as while there's often one character their romanitic life is never the focal point like it is for a hetero couple.

Here's a wiki list because I'm far to lazy to do it myself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_animation

I must be missing some then, i've only seen three on that list that I would consider all that positive an example... I do want to watch Evangelion finally now though ¬¬

Do you mean to say you've seen the majority of the list and only consider 3 a good example or you just haven't seen the majority of the list?

I'm not saying there aren't stereotypes. I'm simply saying that things get addressed more in anime than they do in Western Media, and I don't see a problem with things like Kaorin from Azumanga Dioh or when they have girls at girls only school interested in popular girls. It's not 100% how that works in real life, but I still think it's better than the western portrayal. 

• 4 months later...

1) Do you like anime?

Yes, I like anime alot!!

I don't know... I just do...

I like Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto, kenitchi, One piece, etc...

No not realy...

Well, actualy there is a very long list...

Fullmetal Alchemist, Death note, Cowboy Bebop, Black butler, etc...

• 2 months later...

I've only just started getting into anime :D

Last night, I watched something like 8 hours of Attack on Titan and one episode of Death Note. They're really really good so far :D

Those are good starter anime, but I'm not a big fan of either of them.....

Okami-San and Her Seven Companions

Fullmetal Alchemist

Ouran Highschool Host Club

Baka and Test

And most importantly, Sgt. Frog.

Those are my recommendations. If you like horror though, you can't get better than Ghost Hunt. It's one of if not the best Anime's I've ever watched. Next to Sgt. Frog, of course.

Okami-San and Her Seven Companions

Never seen.

Ouran Highschool Host Club

LOVED this anime, but it is fairly girly. Nothing like what LittleMac has been watching. 

Baka and Test

Good anime. Was pretty funny. Good times. :3

And most importantly, Sgt. Frog.

Didn't finish this anime, but it was fun times.

Those are my recommendations. If you like horror though, you can't get better than Ghost Hunt. It's one of if not the best Anime's I've ever watched. Next to Sgt. Frog, of course.
Umm.... I really, really disliked Ghost Hunt and didn't find it scary at all. Sorry TK.

I tried SAO but I gave up pretty quick ): The female representation is just dire and it all felt so shallow outside the basic premise. There's an annoying amount of anime out there with a good initial idea that then doesn't get fully utilitised.

But still, full massive recs to Ouran. Adore that thing. Was a big deal to me a couple of years back having a protagonist like that to relate too.

• 1 month later...

Parasyte is on my list to watch. How intense is it?

I haven't seen all of it so I can't say much for the series as a whole, although from what I've seen it does have a few intense and violent moments.

I mean, a guy gets his head bitten clean off in the first 30 seconds of the first episode so....XD

I haven't seen all of it so I can't say much for the series as a whole, although from what I've seen it does have a few intense and violent moments.

I mean, a guy gets his head bitten clean off in the first 30 seconds of the first episode so....XD

Hahahahaha, so definitely a more mature anime.