Black nail polish?

HaleyGirl16

Ok ladies, so most of you know I'm a Conservative Christian. I was recently in a debate with a fellow Conservative Christian girl about nail polish. She says black nail polish is immodest because it supposedly originated from the goth/scene/emo girls and has slowly evolved into a socially acceptable fashion statement for all girls. Personally, I like black nail polish and I wear it. In fact, I'm wearing it right now and was at the time of the debate. I don't think God cares about the color I paint my nails, because God didn't create colors to be good & evil. They're just colors. Black to me is as modest or immodest as you make it with your attitude, what you wear, and how you wear it; be it on your nails, clothes, hair, or jewelry.

My question is, do you all think black nail polish is immodest? Why or why not?

Not immodest, no, but I don't wear it, because I don't like it that much. If it gets chipped or spoilt, I just think it looks really messy. Maybe it's because black doesn't suit me that well in general; I prefer dark blue or purple if I'm painting my nails dark.

Well maintained, blakc nail polish is tolerable. If you're going to let it get all chippy, pic kanother color. For some reason, darker nail polish colors look ickier when chippy than lighter ones.

Indeed. Chippy dark polish looks trashy, I think.

On the note of it being sinful. I'm not trying to sound rude but how howwww do people live their lives making big deals about things as small as nail color? I feel like it would just get so exhausting. Not saying this thread is doing that I meant the girl. I just don't get it.

Indeed. Chippy dark polish looks trashy, I think.

On the note of it being sinful. I'm not trying to sound rude but how howwww do people live their lives making big deals about things as small as nail color? I feel like it would just get so exhausting. Not saying this thread is doing that I meant the girl. I just don't get it.

My question exactly! I think it's silly.

I do not believe black nail polish is immodest. I believe that it has similar standards as red nail polish. For example: many many years ago, women that would sell their bodies painted their nails red to signify what they were. Now, I think red is just a pretty color to put on my nails. Black polish may have poor origins, but today it is just another color to be had.

nope, it's fine. I don't wear nail polish on my fingers because since I do alot of stuff around the house it normally chips and looks bad. so I just do my toes. when I was younger I did more polish on my fingers...I never did black though. I never really cared for it. But I don't think it's immodest.

My question is, do you all think black nail polish is immodest? Why or why not?
Modest? Idk. To each his own. I personally don't like black nail-polish at all because I think it looks icky ... >_> but that's just me. The only nail-polish I wear are soft neutral tones. And sparkles. ^_^

My sentiments exactly. ._.

Its like when my roomate comes up to me with a list of 40+ companies I should avoid b/c they support causes 'incompatible with christian teachings'. Oi. I just want my coffee w/o feeling guilty! //offtopic

I haven't actually seen a situation where I like black nail polish, but I'd hardly consider it immodest.

My sentiments exactly. ._.

Its like when my roomate comes up to me with a list of 40+ companies I should avoid b/c they support causes 'incompatible with christian teachings'. Oi. I just want my coffee w/o feeling guilty! //offtopic

I haven't actually seen a situation where I like black nail polish, but I'd hardly consider it immodest.

I tell people all the time: If we only did business with companies whose values and politics we agreed with, there would be very few people to do business with.

How can a colour be immodest? Does the light reflect off of it and shine through your clothes making them see-through? That's literally the only way I think that black polish can be immodest (: I personally don't wear it because I'm not a fan of the way the colour looks but not because I think it's immodest!

Pelly (:

I agree. It makes me crazy when people like the girl focus that much on little tiny things, or try to force their opinions of said tiny things on other people. I've personally never been a fan of black except on Halloween or if you mix it with other colours - I once did black with coloured polkadots and I quite liked the look of that. When I do nail polish I always like colours best. :) That's not to say I find black nail polish sinful, but I just don't like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Black is just a color like red, blue, and green. People will always judge by appearance but that shouldn't stop you from expressing yourself. There's nothing immodest about black nail polish.

Thank you. So. So much.

Until reading this thread, I thought black nail polish was something un-Christian. I made judgments about people who did have black nail polish, and avoided them.

But wow... now, I can see how you are right. It's just a color, so why was I freaking out over it? Aha thank you so much Jenna! God bless!

/on a superficial level: When done right, it does look good. You can get away with having chippy nails if it's a light color, but if it's black, then even a tiny chip shows up and looks really disgusting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's nothing more than art. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like black nail polish, paint them black. It's not like you're writing blasphemous words to God on your fingers. It's only a color.

Besides, a close friend of mine is very devoted to God and wears black polish sometimes.

It's nothing more than art. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like black nail polish, paint them black. It's not like you're writing blasphemous words to God on your fingers. It's only a color.

Besides, a close friend of mine is very devoted to God and wears black polish sometimes.

I agree I mean why would black nailpolish be wrong or bad its just a color